Monday, January 18, 2010

grandbaby Isaac

I have noticed that many of the bloggers I follow haven't posted much during the month of January with the exception of those who have had children. How these new moms and dads have time to jump on the web while the rest of our blogs gather dust is beyond me. However, their jubilation of adding a new family member pushes them to share the good news with everyone. And we are a willing audience; ready to share their good news, pictures and the changes that come with their expanding families.


Those of us who have had children and have now become grandparents are mentally zipping back in time to the days of our first experience with our own children coming into the world. We feel young again yet strangely advanced, not old. We have advanced a generation, we have not gotten old. Old is an ugly word. It is a word for dinosaurs and computers that were bought three years ago.


Old is a state of mind. My brother said in an email, "Well, I heard a perspective on the radio yesterday that thought staying young was about looking forward. You become old when you dwell on the past. I'm sure it was better articulated, but that's the gist. So I am, today, looking forward." That's what a grandchild does for you; points you to the future and keeps you young.


I am thrilled that we have baby Isaac to keep us young.

No comments:

Post a Comment